Posted by sarah on October 26, 2012 / Leave a Comment
Born and raised in Northern Idaho, Emma Stanford moved to Portland five years ago and has a developed a big love for her new city. “It’s so progressive, which is great because I’m really environmentally active,” she says. “And I love Oregon beer!”
Expanding on her appreciation for the environment, Stanford likes to spend her free time in the outdoors, especially while riding her bike. And when she’s not busy knitting, she’s adding vocals and accordion to Prohibition-era duo The Short Pockets.
1. What are you knitting right now, and with what yarn? Fancy gloves from a pattern I’m making up right now. Using Madelinetosh sock weight yarn in Amber Trinket.
2. What non-yarn crafts do you do? I make jewelry with bones and other random recycled materials. Also, a lot of baking and food making – definitely counts as crafting, in my humble opinion.
3. What’s your favorite fiber? Plain ol’ merino wool does me just fine.
4. Who taught you to knit? My wonderful mother. Thanks, Mom!
5. Picker or thrower? DPNs or circulars? Magic loops or 2 circs? Picker. Definitely DPNs. Magic loops because I love magic!
6. When was the last time you used acrylic? I’ve tried to erase the memory. Don’t remember.
7. Recent project that led you to learning a new technique? The hat I just finished – Cloche Divine. “PP2tog, 7 purl bumps below.” Totally new technique for me.
8. What luxurious location would you like to be knitting at right now? My comfy red couch with my boyfriend, watching some period drama tv show, with a glass of wine. Very luxurious indeed.
9. Where do you knit most often? My comfy red couch at home!
10. What do you knit most frequently? Socks, because they make wonderful gifts.
11. Why do you knit? It’s an addiction. Can’t help it.
12. Do you wear the majority of your knitting, or do you tend to give it away? Give it away, much to the chagrin of my wardrobe.
13. Biggest knitting blooper? A Vogue extra-long sweater that was on the cover. The model looked SO good in it. The pattern called for extra bulky – I was about 13 and chose horrible ’80s colors. Still have it but it is pretty darn hideous.
14. What do you like most about knitting? Ending up with an awesome finished product!
15. What do you like to drink after knitting? Wine, of course. Or maybe coffee.
16. Favorite Ryan Gosling meme, or movie moment? I am so sorry, but Ryan Gosling does nothing for me. Don’t hate me. “Half Nelson” was ok. Never saw “Blue Valentine” but I like the song he sings in it.
17. Hottest actor/heart throb? It’s cliche, but I do love Brad Pitt. He’s just so sweet! And he does environmental activism. Sexy.
18. Favorite ‘80s or ‘90s TV show? X-Files. Gotta love Mulder.
19. Favorite music or band? And do you prefer music while knitting? Tom Waits. I like listening to the news while I knit. Preferably KBOO.
20. Best snack to nibble on while knitting? Wine. And maybe cheese with a baguette.